Do I need to complete the Certificate III in Early Childhood before I enrol in the Diploma of Early Childhood?
No. There are two different training pathways available to anyone considering enrolling in a child care course in Melbourne.
Pathway 1: Enrol and complete the Certificate III in Early Childhood FIRST, to gain a full qualification BEFORE enrolling into the Diploma course. With this training option, when you are ready to continue into the diploma, you will receive credits for all the units you have successfully completed in your Certificate III. Accordingly your diploma course fees and your course duration will also be reduced too. With this pathway, you will receive TWO qualifications – a Certificate III and a Diploma.
Pathway 2: Enrol straight into the Diploma of Early Childhood (WITHOUT completing the Certificate III in Early Childhood first). With this training option, you will still cover the majority of the Certificate III content before you commence the more challenging Diploma units. However, with this pathway, you will only receive ONE qualification – a Diploma – as no Certificate 3 qualification will be issued.
Will I need to buy textbooks during my diploma of childcare course?
In addition to the child care course fees, you will also be required to purchase 3 textbooks (valued at $220.00). These text books can be purchased directly from Suzan Johnston Australia upon your commencement in your child care course. You will also be required to pay an additional fee for first-aid training (approximately $110.00). Please see course enrolment form for more details.
Will I need to arrange my own Practical Placement during my diploma in childcare course?
Practical Placement is an important and mandatory component of all child care courses. Accordingly, we will assist you in finding and co-ordinating your practical placement. Over the past 25 years Suzan Johnston Australia has forged strong relationships within the children’s services industry and we have a network of child care centres who regularly (and very happily) host our students’ practical placements.
Learners who are already employed as educators within the industry can contribute any paid hours of employment towards meeting the practical placement requirements of their diploma of childcare.
Can I gain employment whilst I’m completing the Diploma of Early Childhood Course?
Our reputation and our success in producing quality and well-trained diploma educators is second to none. As a result the majority of our diploma in childcare students are able to gain ongoing part-time or casual employment as a result of their practical placement (whilst they are still completing their studies). Any paid hours of employment can be contributed towards meeting the practical placement requirements of their diploma of childcare.
Does the diploma of childcare course include exams?
Our child care courses do not include any scary or stressful exams. Assessments generally involve completing a range of relevant and interesting exercises/activities. You will also be observed and assessed performing your duties within the workplace (during your practical placement).
Do you offer on-site training in the workplace for educators who wish to undertake or upgrade to the diploma in childcare?
Yes! For educators who have current and ongoing employment (full-time or part-time) at a centre and who want to either gain a qualification or further their studies, we can come to you! This flexible training option can be delivered at your centre, at a time that suits you. The on-site child care courses are also fully-customised to reflect your previous studies and/or industry experience (with credit transfer and/or RPL available to eligible learners).
Why don’t you offer the Diploma of Children’s Services online?
Suzan Johnston is committed to producing child care educators that are highly trained, confident professionals, who are capable of providing the best possible standard of care for children.
Year after year, statistical studies have also shown that learners who undertake a child care course online often find it challenging to engage with the complexity of both the learning materials and the assessments, resulting in considerably lower course completion rates. It is our belief that the best learning outcomes for all Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care learners can only be achieved when training/assessment is conducted within a supportive face-to-face classroom environment.
We have chosen not to deliver child care courses online, ensuring that all child care courses are delivered face-to-face within a relaxed, supportive and highly practical learning environment. Our small class sizes ensure that our trainers can work closely with each student, offering personalised help, support and encouragement.
What are the career prospects for students who graduate from a diploma in child care course in Melbourne?
It is anticipated that the child care industry will continue to experience enormous and unprecedented growth and expansion (with approximately 450 new child care centres opening within Victoria in the 2018/2019 period). Accordingly, industry demand for quality educators will continue to exceed supply.
Possible career pathways for diploma of childcare graduates may include:
- Child care educator in a child care centre
- Child care educator in a kindergarten/pre-school
- Centre manager/director
- Authorised supervisor
- Group/team coordinator/leader
- Program leader
- Owner – child care centre or family day care
- Manager – before/after school hours care program
- Professional nanny within Australia or overseas
- Play group supervisor
At Suzan Johnston, the majority of our diploma in childcare students successfully secure employment halfway through their course!
Why are the Suzan Johnston child care courses different to any another RTO or TAFE courses?
- Suzan Johnston Australia is one of Melbourne’s most trusted and respected training institutions (established since 1959) and have been delivering the accredited child care course in Melbourne since 1994
- Our child care trainers are exceptional and inspirational professionals, who deliver every training session with passion and dedication
- Our classes are conducted in a uniquely caring, friendly and personalised learning environment
- Our students individual training needs are respected and valued
- Suzan Johnston Australia has the reputation of delivering child care and nanny courses that are of the highest quality
- Graduates from our exclusive children’s services courses are multi-skilled and have a wide range of employment opportunities
- Our diploma of childcare graduates are known to be quality professionals who are respected within the industry and actively sought after by employers Australia wide
- The Suzan Johnston Training Organization is committed to producing childcare educators who are truly dedicated and capable of providing the best possible standard of care for children
- Suzan Johnston firmly believes that the best learning outcomes (and quality diploma graduates) can only be achieved through face-to-face delivery (not via online training). Therefore all our childcare courses are delivered within a supportive and highly dynamic classroom environment
- Approximately 97% of our Diploma in Early Childhood course graduates are successful in finding employment within 3 – 4 weeks of course completion!