Am I eligible for Skills First Government Funded Training?
Government Subsidised Training is available to all Australian/New Zealand Citizens or Permanent Residents who meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Aged between 15 – 19 years on 1 January in the year of course commencement OR ANYONE (regardless of age) gaining a higher qualification than they already hold
- Participating in and/or have enrolled to commence in LESS than two other government funded training courses in the year of course commencement (this includes courses listed in the Approved Foundation Skills List)
- Have not already commenced two government funded courses at the same Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) level as the course they are seeking to enrol in now
- Have a physical presence in Victoria and be able to attend face-to-face delivery at our Melbourne campus (Level 6, 246 Bourke Street, Melbourne) or participate in training via our virtual platform
- Participating in a Skills First approved course (Skills First – Funded Course List)
Am I eligible for the JobTrainer Government Funding initiative?
Suzan Johnston Australia has been granted a limited number of JobTrainer places in 2022.
JobTrainer Funding is available to an individual who is enrolling in either our:
- Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care or
- Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care
If you haven’t been eligible for government funding in the past, you may qualify for the JobTrainer funding initiative. To access JobTrainer funding, you will ONLY need to meet the following criteria:
- be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen or Permanent Resident
- you must not have commenced another JobTrainer funded course previously
I’m considering commencing the virtual/online childcare course and I’m wondering; can I change to face-to-face classes when the current COVID situation improves?
We intend to continue to offer both face-to-face and virtual/online delivery of the child care classes. You will be able to swap between the different study modes upon arrangement (at no charge). The option to study our Certificate III in Early Childhood either at our training facility or from home is here to stay. The choice will be yours.
How do Virtual Classes compare to other online childcare courses?
Unlike traditional ‘online child care courses,’ virtual training is similar to what you would experience in a face-to-face classroom.
Our virtual classes are scheduled regularly (either weekly or fortnightly) ensuring that you remain engaged and your learning remains ‘on-track’. During each live Zoom lesson you’ll be able to hear and see your trainer delivering the content to you and your classmates, and you’ll be able to ask questions and participate in activities etc. After each virtual/online class, your trainer will be available for the afternoon to offer support with your studies and answer any questions you may have.
It is our belief that the best learning outcomes for all Certificate III in Early Childhood Education learners can only be achieved when training/assessment is conducted within a structured, supportive and interactive learning environment. This type of learning cannot be achieved by studying via traditional online methods where interaction with trainers is often limited and irregular.
Do I need any additional equipment to study the child care course online?
Importantly, you won’t need any additional equipment other than your home computer/laptop and of course access to the internet (earphones are optional).
Will I need to buy textbooks during my child care course?
In addition to the childcare course fees, you will also be required to purchase online text books/resources (one for each unit of competency – $11.00 each). These resources will be made available to you as you complete your early childhood studies. You will also be required to pay an additional fee for first-aid training (approximately $110.00). Please contact us for more details.
Will I need to arrange my own Practical Placement during my child care certificate?
Practical Placement is an important and mandatory component of all child care courses. Accordingly, we will assist you in finding and coordinating your practical placement. Over the past 28 years Suzan Johnston Australia has forged strong relationships within the children’s services industry and we have a network of child care centres who regularly (and very happily) host our students’ practical placements.
Does the certificate in child care course include exams?
Our child care courses do not include any scary or stressful exams. Assessments generally involve completing a range of relevant and interesting exercises/activities. You will also be observed and assessed performing your duties within the workplace (during your practical placement).
What is the career pathway for students who graduate with a child care certification?
In 2022, it is anticipated that the child care industry will continue to experience enormous and unprecedented growth and expansion. Accordingly, industry demand for quality educators (who hold a Certificate III in childcare qualification) will continue to exceed supply.
Our Certificate III in Early Childhood Education has been designed to equip learners with the necessary skills, qualifications and confidence to gain employment in a wide variety of positions including:
- Educator in a child care centre, kindergarten or pre-school
- Professional nanny within Australia or overseas
- Family day care worker
- Before and after school care assistant
- Play group supervisor
- Agency relief staff/mobile assistant
- Recreation assistant
Do I need to complete a child care course to become a nanny?
In the past becoming a nanny was pretty easy, with most families only expecting potential nannies to have previous babysitting experience and no formal child care and/or nanny qualifications.
Today, society’s perception of nannies has changed enormously with Australian nannies being respected and valued as industry professionals, who offer families legitimate and professional child care alternatives.
Suzan Johnston has been offering child care and nanny courses for more than 28 years. Our child care qualifications are highly respected within the nanny industry, and our graduates are actively sought after by families and nanny recruitment agencies worldwide.
The Turnbull government has recently announced that from July 2018 all nannies providing services for the new home based care programme must hold or be working towards a Certificate III in Early Childhood (minimum) qualification. As a result, most parents and employment agencies will now insist that their nannies hold this important child care/nanny qualification. Accordingly, we encourage all those who intend on becoming a nanny to undertake the Certificate III in Childcare in preparation for this new national requirement.
Once I have enrolled in the Cert III in Early Childhood Education, what kind of training delivery can I expect? How much homework is involved?
For our nationally recognised child care courses, you can choose between face-to-face (within a classroom environment) or studying your child care course online (with our virtual classes). Your attendance of scheduled classes is important as every lesson is packed full with important information, dynamic discussions, hands-on practical exercises, role-plays, games and activities. In addition to the scheduled training sessions, this childcare course requires you to spend between 5 – 10 hours per week on assigned homework tasks.
Am I eligible to enrol in a government funded child care course?
Both our classroom-based and online CHC30121 Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care are approved for government subsidised training, so you may only have to pay a small portion of the course fee (whilst the government subsidises the rest).
Working out if you are eligible to access this subsidised child care course can be a little confusing, so let one of our friendly consultants clarify this with you over the phone – it will only take a minute!
Are there any Entry Requirements for the Certificate III in Early Childhood?
Prior to your enrolment in our child care course you will be required to participate in a pre-training interview and complete an online language, literacy and numeracy assessment. These entry requirements are designed to assist us in determining your suitability for the course and to assist with the planning of any learning support requirements.
What study pathways are available to me after I finish the CHC30121 Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care?
Should you decide to further your studies after completing the Certificate III in Early Childhood, you may transition to a higher-level child care qualification with credits into the Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care.
How do I enrol in the CHC30121 Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care?
- If you would like to proceed with your enrolment in our Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care, please contact us on 9654 0999 so the relevant Online Enrolment Package can be forwarded to you.
Why is the Suzan Johnston child care certificate different to any another RTO or TAFE course?
- Suzan Johnston Australia is one of Melbourne’s most trusted and respected training institutions (established since 1959) and have been delivering the accredited child care course in Melbourne since 1994
- Our child care trainers are exceptional and inspirational professionals, who deliver every training session with passion and dedication
- Our classroom-based and online classes are uniquely friendly, interactive and personalised
- Our students individual training needs are respected and valued
- Suzan Johnston Australia has the reputation of delivering nanny training and childcare courses that are of the highest quality
- Graduates from our exclusive children’s services course are multi-skilled and have a wide range of employment opportunities
- Our certificate 3 childcare graduates are known to be quality professionals who are respected within the industry and actively sought after by employers Australia wide
- The Suzan Johnston Training Organization is committed to producing childcare educators who are truly dedicated and capable of providing the best possible standard of care for children
- Approximately 85 – 100% of our Cert III childcare graduates are successful in finding employment within 3 – 4 weeks of course completion!
We invite you to drop in and experience our unique learning environment for yourself…